Health System Assessment Approach:
A How-to Manual Version 2.0
Setting the Stage for Health Systems Strengthening: What We Have Learned from Doing Over 30 Health Systems Assessments
The HSA approach is an innovative tool designed to provide a rapid yet comprehensive assessment of a country’s health system. With experience in conducting HSAs in Asia, Africa, and the Caribbean, presenters will highlight how HSA results are being used to strengthen health systems.
The Health Systems Assessment Approach: A How-To Manual was developed by Health Systems 20/20, Partners for Health Reformplus (PHRplus), Rational Pharmaceutical Management Plus (RPM Plus), and the Quality Assurance Project (QAP). The tool is designed to provide a rapid yet comprehensive assessment of a country's health system.
The approach covers key health systems functions and is organized around WHO’s six health system building blocks: governance; health financing; health service delivery; human resources; medical products, vaccines, and technologies; and health information systems. For more information, read the HSA brief.
Section 1. Introduction to the Health System Assessment Approach and Manual
These modules describe the technical grounding and methodological approach of the health system assessment. They also provide information on the content and use of this manual.
Section 2. Conducting the Assessment
These five modules describe a five-step process of conducting a health system assessment.
Section 3. Guidance on Assessing Health System Building Blocks
The modules in this section describe the indicators that can be used to assess each of the health system building blocks. The section also includes country stories and templates. The modules in Section 3 can be downloaded separately or in a single file.
- Complete Indicator Summary
- Section 3 Module 1: Country and Health System Overview
- Section 3 Module 2: Leadership and Governance
- Section 3 Module 3: Health Financing
- Section 3 Module 4: Service Delivery
- Section 3 Module 5: Human Resources for Health
- Section 3 Module 6: Medical Products, Vaccines, and Technologies
- Section 3 Module 7: Health Information Systems
This web-based tool allows the user to review country data and prepare an automated country profile as a first step to deciding whether a full assessment using the manual is needed. Customized country data and charts, as well as comparisons with peer countries in the same region or income group, can be generated within minutes.
- Southern Sudan Health System Assessment, 2007
- Benin Health System Assessment, 2007
- Vietnam Health System Assessment (2 provinces), 2009
- Nigeria Health System Assessment, 2009
- Senegal Health System Assessment, 2009
- Vietnam Health System Assessment (6 provinces)--Draft, 2010
- Angola Health System Assessment, 2010
- Kenya Health System Assessment, 2010
- Zimbabwe Health System Assessment, 2010
- Lesotho Health System Assessment, 2010
- Tanzania Health System Assessment, 2010
- Côte d’Ivoire Health System Assessment, 2010 (French only)
- Guyana Health System Assessment 2010
- Ukraine Health System Assessment, 2011
- Uganda Health System Assessment, 2011
- Saint Lucia Health Systems and Private Sector Assessment 2011
- Antigua and Barbuda Health Systems and Private Sector Assessment, 2011
- Grenada Health Systems and Private Sector Assessment, 2011
- St. Vincent and the Grenadines Health System Assessment, 2012
- Dominica Health Systems and Private Sector Assessment, 2012
- St. Kitts and Nevis Health Systems and Private Sector Assessment, 2012
- Mozambique Health System Assessment, 2012